We’ve been busy lately, so we apologize if we haven’t had a chance to review any toys lately. But now that the kids’ activities are winding down (just a bit), we finally had a chance to play around with one. Is it worth it? Did it make it on our list of great gift ideas for kids? Keep reading for our VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX Review.
What Is A VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX?
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX is a smartwatch made specifically for kids. It comes with a wide range of fun games, activities and action challenges that are tracked with motion sensors. In addition to these features, the smartwatch also includes an alarm (great for reminding your kids when it’s time to come home), timer, stopwatch, calendar feature and a calculator.
The watch is packaged in an attractive acrylic case. An instruction booklet and a micro-USB cable for uploading videos and pictures are included in the bottom portion of the box. It also comes with a lithium-ion battery which is recharged using the included micro USB cable.
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX Review
After using the watch for a few weeks now, this is what we have to say about it:
- The watch is extremely durable and it comes with an interface that is really easy for kids to use. We can’t comment on smaller kids, but our 8 and 10 year old kids had no problems figuring out the touch interface. (Most likely because they’ve been using touch-enabled devices since they came out of the womb.)
- The device’s builtin camera and video are better than we expected. They aren’t comparable to the latest Android and Apple smartphones on the market these days, however the quality is fairly good.
- A Learning Lodge application is also included in this device to help kids learn how to set time and learn how to use various functions of this watch. Our kids are a little bit older, so they didn’t have to use it, however we thought it was an excellent app to have, especially for younger kids.
- Despite the fact that this device comes with a lithium-ion battery, we didn’t find that the battery lasted as long as the manufacturer claims. Maybe it’s because we’re still in the “honeymoon” phase and using it a lot. Time will tell.
- The power switch is fairly small and might be tricky to turn on/off for younger kids.
- Although some of the games are neat to play for a bit, our kids got tired of them fairly quickly. Most likely because they each have a tablet and are used to playing on bigger screens.
VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX Product Demonstration
Have a look at the following YouTube video if you want to see the phone in action and get a better idea on how it works:
Please accept YouTube cookies to play this video. By accepting you will be accessing content from YouTube, a service provided by an external third party.
If you accept this notice, your choice will be saved and the page will refresh.
Overall, we are huge fans of this product. Even though our kids got bored with some the games, the builtin video and camera were a huge hit and still are. If you combine its wearable form factor, intuitive interface and its variety of unique features, it’s definitely a good choice. We hope you found our VTech Kidizoom Smartwatch DX Review useful.
Have you guys had a chance to play around with it? If so, let us know what you think about it.
If you have time, please check out our other reviews:
Hydraulic Robotic Arm Review
VTech Kidizoom Action Camera Review
Fashion Plates Deluxe Kit Review
Hasbro BB8 Android RC Review
Lego MindStorms EV3 Review
ALEX Toys Car Valet Review
Thames and Kosmos Remote Control Machines Review