Nerf toys have been a part of our family in one way or another for at least 30 years now. We (the parents) remember having a blast for hours with Nerf toys when we were young and now it’s our kids’ turn. The only difference is that the toys are 1000% more awesome now! That’s why we wanted to write about the company and what they’ve been up to lately. But, before we get into that, we wanted to give you a bit of background information on the how it got started.
About The Brand
Nerf is actually not a company in itself, it is a brand that was original created by Parker Brothers and is now the property of Hasbro. Although there is a wide variety of Nerf toys (they make foam balls for basketball, football, etc.), the main bread and butter for this brand is the awesome weaponry.
So how did it all start? In the late 60s, a guy by the name of Reyn Guyer (who was a games inventor at the time), approached Parker Brothers with an prototype for a volleyball game that was safe to play indoors. Parker Brothers mulled it over for a while and in the end, the only thing they kept from that idea was the foam ball. Not long after, they turned that foam ball into the popular “Nerf” ball that we all know and love today. It was coined the “world’s first official indoor ball” and the company promoted it as the safest ball to play indoors and that it was practically impossible to damage or injure anyone or anything in your home.
Within a few years, they had sold over 4 million of these balls and history was made. They kept adding products to the Nerf line until eventually, Hasbro acquired the Nerf brand in the early 90s. From then on, Hasbro just kept developing new toys and weaponry that made use of the same foam technology and then expanded into other categories of weaponry, such as: Nerf Blasters, Nerf N-Force, Super Soakers, Lazer tag & more. (This is a quick history of the company. For more information please visit the Nerf Wiki
Amazing Nerf Toys From The Past
Here are just a few of the cool products that have come out in the past years, that you might not have seen yet:
1. Nerf Rival Zeus MXV-1200 Blaster – You will definitely be the leader in any Nerf battle if you get your hands on this motorized baby. Load 12 rounds into the magazine, slap it in and you’ll be ready for any battle. Just press the accelerator button and let the rapid-fire loose on your enemies.
2. Nerf Zombie Strike Hammershot Blaster – Comes with five zombie strike darts and has hammer action blasting. It is made with safe materials and tested for high quality and durability.
3. Nerf N-Strike 3-in-1 Unity Power System – One of our favorites, by far. This little unit of destruction comes with 3 Nerf blasters all in one nice little package. The first blaster is the “Scout Blaster” which is a standard one-dart shooter. Then you have the Hornet which takes it up a notch with a longer range six-shooter. Last but not least, The Titan Blaster which can blast one projectile up to 50 feet!
New Nerf Toys In 2016
Earlier this year, Nerf announced a bunch a new toys that should be hitting the shelves in the Fall. Although they all look pretty amazing, there are 3 particular ones that we plan on keeping our eye on:
1. Nerf MEGA Mastodon Blaster – This is the first ever flywheel powered mega blaster that everyone is going crazy about. It is motorized and runs on six batteries.
2. The Nerf N-Strike Modulus Tri-Fire Blaster – Well, this one fires three different kinds of ammunition starting from the elites, the mega and the demolisher.
3. Nerf N-Strike Elite Hyper-Fire Blaster – Comes with a 25 dart drum magazine and futuristic design that will blow your kids’ minds!.
Well, that’s all the Nerf toys news we have for now. We will update this post with links on where you can get the new products as soon as they are available. If you are looking for amazing gift ideas for kids, then Nerf products needs to be at the top of your list!
So what do you guys think about the Nerf company and its toys? Awesome? Boring and too old school? Whatever your opinion is, we’d love to get your feedback!